uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA pipeline output persistence and multiple layer web based visualisation tools? Suggestions?
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:08:52 GMT
Hi James,

<taking Apache UIMA hat off, putting UKP Lab hat on>

I'm working on the WebAnno (and DKPro Core) project. Thanks for checking it out and providing
feedback!

On 16.11.2014, at 13:08, James Kitching <jameskitching@hemseye.org> wrote:

> I had hoped that I could use webanno for this task however webanno does not allow the
direct import of UIMA components or UIMA output.

WebAnno [1] is an annotation tool. It's scope is not the building or running of pipelines.

WebAnno can quite immediately consume XMIs created with the DKPro Core [2] collection of UIMA
components, since the built-in annotation types of WebAnno are modelled after the DKPro Core
types. Actually, all import/export filters in WebAnno are UIMA components from DKPro Core.

WebAnno is not meant to be a universal XMI/CAS editor. It is meant to be a user-friendly annotation
tool. However, we internally use the UIMA CAS to represent annotations.

To visualizes UIMA annotations in WebAnno, they need to be mapped to WebAnnos (cf. brat's)
interaction paradigms. To this end, WebAnno supports three specific type-system design patterns
(aka "layer types"): span, relation, and chain.
A "span" is basically a UIMA "Annotation". A "relation" is an annotation with two features
pointing to a "span" type. A "chain" is basically a variation of a linked list. Additional
primitive features are also supported.

If you want to use WebAnno with existing UIMA data, you can try this:

- define custom annotation layers in WebAnno that closely resemble the data you wish to interface
with
- export the layer definition as JSON
- edit the JSON file and change the type names "webanno.custom.XXX" into whatever these types
are called in your existing UIMA type sytem
- create a new project
- import the modified JSON layer configuration

For basic type system designs, this should work ok.

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] https://code.google.com/p/webanno/
[2] https://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-asl/