uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Could UIMA AS client send custom key value parameters to annotator?
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:23:35 GMT

On 10/7/2014 4:51 PM, Jeffery Yuan wrote:
> Eddie Epstein <eaepstein@...> writes:
>
>> There is no mechanism for a uima-as client to modify the result
>> specification of a remote service. Since type/feature control cannot
>> indicate many other behavioral characteristics, like speed vs accuracy
>> tradeoffs, the suggested approach for dynamic control is to use dedicated
>> feature structures in the submitted CAS.
>>
> Hi, Eddie Epstein:
>
> Thanks a lot for your response.
>
> And please forgive me my next maybe obvious question - but I am quite new to
> UIMA, not familiar with its concept.
>
> Could you elaborate on how to use dedicated feature structures to dynamic
> control remote Annotator behavior? Especially how to use it to make cleint
> control which regex run at remote?

To do this, you write (or modify and existing) remote annotator that is doing
the work of running the regex's.

So, for example the remote annotator could read the "Control" FS, and (I'm
making up this design - it may not be suitable...) take the value of some
feature as the regex to run.

The key here is that this approach requires customizing the client and the
remote to create and read the new control FS.

-Marshall