uima-user mailing list archives

From Egbert van der Wal <e...@pointpro.nl>
Subject Re: UIMA AS NullPointerException in CasDefinition constructor
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2014 14:52:23 GMT
Just to post an update on my own message:

In the full version, I was able to fix it by not adding the Collection Reader to
the AsychronousEngine but just initializing it without and afterwards doing
it manually:

reader.initialize();
while (reader.hasNext())
  ae.sendCAS(reader.getNext(ae.getCAS()));

instead of just calling:

ae.process();

makes it work as it should. So it seems that in my situation, there is a
problem with adding the CollectionReader to the engine. Not such a big
deal as my new approach works, but it would be nice to use the
CollectionReader as it's meant to be used.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,

Egbert

On Monday, August 04, 2014 02:07:18 PM you wrote:
> Hi Eddie,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I have limited time to work on this so my
> response may be slow now and again, but I'm still working on it. Your
input
> is very much appreciated!
>
> First of all, the command:
>
> runRemoteAsyncAE.sh/cmd tcp://localhost:61616
> MeetingDetectorTaeQueue \
>          -d Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE.xml \
>          -c

$UIMA_HOME/examples/descriptors/collection_reader/FileSystemCollectionR
> eader.xml
>
> completes without any errors, so the example seems to be running fine.
>
> I've been fiddling around with it and I was able to pinpoint the problem to
> the collection reader. I have a collection reader (subclassed from
> CollectionReader_ImplBase) that is added to the AsynchronousEngine.
> However, it does not seem to be the specific implementation.
>
> I've reduced all code / annotators etc to a very basic set that still shows
> the problem, where the AE only has one (very basic) annotator and the
> Collection Reader actually doesn't do anything except stating that
there's
> nothing left to do.
>
> I'll attach the Minimum Working Examples (or actually, not-working
> examples) that I've constructed to pinpoint the problem.
>
> Commenting out line 62 (the call to setCollectionReader) 'fixes' the
> problem. However, as you can see, the implementation of MWEReader
> doesn't do anything at all, so I don't really see why it would cause this
> trouble.
>
> Any ideas on what is causing this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Egbert
>
> On Monday, July 28, 2014 05:14:39 PM Eddie Epstein wrote:
> > Hi Egbert,
> >
> > The README file for UIMA-AS shows an application example with
> > Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE.xml.Does that run OK for you?
> >
> > Assuming yes, can you give more details about the scenario, perhaps
>
> the
>
> > explicit commands used? The descriptors used?
> >
> > Eddie
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Egbert van der Wal
>
> <ewal@pointpro.nl>
>
> > wrote:
> > >  Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to convert an existing and functional UIMA pipeline to a
UIMA