uima-user mailing list archives

From Egbert van der Wal <e...@pointpro.nl>
Subject Building UIMA-CPP on (K)Ubuntu 14.04
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:51:18 GMT
Hi,

I've been trying to add an annotator in C++ to an Annotation Engine in Java.
However, building UIMA-CPP is not a trivial task, so it seems.

So far, I've identified dependencies on ActiveMQ-CPP, APR, a Java JRE, Xerces
and ICU. Maybe there's more key dependencies but those do not appear to be a
problem on Ubuntu.

libxerces was easy to fix as a compatible version is in the Ubuntu repository.

APR is harder: Ubuntu 14.04 ships with 1.5.x while the configure script checks
for 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4. Hacking the configure-script to also accept 1.5.x works
but I didn't get to compiling yet so I don't know about the API-differences
and if this will work.

ActiveMQ-CPP is not in the Ubuntu repository. I had to locate and built this
myself, but this actually didn't prove to be so hard.

ICU is harder. The configure script wants a --with-icu path, but then assumes
other facts. In Ubuntu, icu-config is located in /usr/bin while the header
filers are located in /usr/include/x86-64-linux-gnu/unicode/. The configure-
script seems to have problems to recognize this difference. I would've thought
that just having the icu-config script in the path would be sufficient, as
icu-config spits out the rest of the required information, but this doesn't
seem to be the case.

Java JRE is also a problem. It wants jni.h but is not able to locate it.
Ubuntu installs JREs in /usr/lib/jvm/<name of JVM>/ but specyfing, for
example, --with-jre=/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/ or --with-
jre=/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/ does not work.

The corresponding locations on my system of jni.h are:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/include/jni.h
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/include/jni.h

Is there anyone that succesfully built UIMACPP 2.4 on Ubuntu 14.04? Is there a
new version of UIMACPP available that works better on Ubuntu 14.04? Does
anyone know of a PPA providing compiled UIMACPP packages for Ubuntu 14.04?

Thanks for any assistance!

Kind regards,

Egbert van der Wal