uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sharing the same ExternalResource instance between a CollectionReader and Annotators
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 07:55:53 GMT
Thanks for the report. This hasn't been noticed so far.

I am afraid that SimplePipeline currently does not support sharing
a resource between the reader and the components.

Internally, SimplePipeline instantiates the reader and the components
separately, thus they end up with different resource managers.
Resources can only be shared by components that use the same resource
manager.

As a workaround, you could try the following:

- Create the reader and component descriptions as usual with uimaFIT.
- Use UIMAFramework.newDefaultResourceManager() to create a resource manager.
- Use UIMAFramework.produceCollectionReader() and UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine()
to create CollectionReader and AnalysisEngine instances from the descriptors and with your
resource manager.
- Pass the CollectionReader and AnalysisEngine instances as parameters to SimplePipeline.
- Mind that you'll have to call the "collectionProcessComplete" and "destroy" methods manually
on the instances after SimplePipeline is complete - if you need these events.

I think that should work, but I currently have no time to try it out.

Sounds like something that should be fixable for the next uimaFIT release. Would you mind
opening a bug for that on the Apache Jira?

Cheers,

-- Richard