uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Java level prerequsite upgrade?
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:45:37 GMT
There's a similar discussion happening in Maven development.

Some interesting points of view being expressed there:

1) Java 6 is pretty "uninteresting" as a change from 5; some people thought it
wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant the change.  They suggested either
not moving, or moving to Java 7.

(Java 8 has some really nice features --- but it's not out till next year...)

2) Others pointed out that many "government" users are still on Java 1.2 or 1.4
- they're very slow to upgrade.  The rebuttal to this was - that would be fine,
since they would not have upgraded their Maven, either, and the old levels work
on the older Java versions.

Food for thought... -Marshall