uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Running Uima in Tomcat (loading of large model)
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:53:55 GMT
There are 2 APIs when working with UIMA:

1) The APIs for Annotator components

2) The APIs used to "embed" a UIMA Pipeline into something else.

The basic flow for #2 includes:

a) Feeding XML Descriptors of the UIMA pipeline to be instantiated to the UIMA
Framework, producing an "analysis engine", etc.; this action has a secondary
effect of invoking the "initialize" method on all the parts.  The initialize
method can be implemented by any part to do any setup it wants, including

b) Running things through the pipeline, usually in a loop.

HTH.  See for more details:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/tutorials_and_users_guides.html

Chapter 3 talks about the embedding application and the APIs used there.

-Marshall