uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: UIMA and ontology
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:32:40 GMT
Hi,

Some "getting started" references:

http://uima.apache.org/documentation.html#getting_started

These walk you through some basic concepts, and writing your first annotator, etc.

A good "book" to read is
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/tutorials_and_users_guides.html or, if you
want to print it out and read it, the equivalent PDF:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/tutorials_and_users_guides.pdf

It looks like the Agrovoc community has, in addition to vocabularies, some
"taggers"; perhaps you could make use of these by wrapping them as UIMA Annotators.

The UIMA data representation (type system) is similar to Java's Object Oriented
Types, in that it allows a single inheritance.  Complex data structures can
easily be represented because data instances can be defined to contain arbitrary
references to other data instances.

To answer you question, in particular, for an entity type "animal" it could have
a subtype "cow", and the instance could define the two features you mention:
prefLabels and altLabels.  (UIMA supports values which are arrays and lists of
other things, too).

UIMA comes in several language embeddings (Java, C++), but Java is the most
used.  Your annotators can load resources at "initialize" time, including
ontologies; alternatively, if you wish to "share" a loaded resource among many
annotators, UIMA provides for this too (see
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/tutorials_and_users_guides.html#ugr.tug.aae.accessing_external_resource_files
)

HTH. -Marshall

On 7/24/2013 4:54 AM, Mohammad Mourhaf AL Asswad wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to UIMA. I used Gate before but would like to try UIMA.
>
> My work involves mapping text files to ontologies and RDF data. For instance, using an
ontology like Agrovoc which defines agricultural concepts, I like to find agricultural concepts
in text. I like to make use of both skos:prefLabels and skos:altLabels defined in Agrovoc
(for example, for cows, cow is the prefLabel and cattle is an altLabel). Can I do this in
UIMA? If yes, where shall I start? How do I load the ontology in UIMA and use it in my analysis?
Is there any source of information that explains what to do to accomplish this task?