uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Running Uima in Tomcat (loading of large model)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:55:13 GMT

On 7/16/2013 10:38 PM, swirl wrote:
> I am wrapping a Uima analysis engine in a Tomcat.
>
> This AE loads and parses a large model file (300Mb).
> The loading time of this model takes 3min. This is unacceptable if users have
> to wait so long to do analysis on one document.
>
> What are the possible ways to reduce the loading time?
The basic UIMA lifecycle includes the possibilities of loading the model at
"startup" time, and then leaving it loaded.  Would this work for your case?  No
need for UIMA-AS, here.  The pipeline would be loaded and "waiting" to receive a
CAS to work on; the model would be retained in memory between calls to process().

> One solution I can think of but need some confirmation of assumptions:
> Run the AE in Uima AS. But does AS
>  i. allows pre-loading of the model to wait for requests to come in.
>  ii. retains the model in memory so that there is no need to reload it for
> subsequent request?
UIMA-AS allows for scaling out parts of a pipeline across multiple machines.  It
does have the lifecycle of being able to load a model at "startup" and then wait
for requests to come in, but as stated above, so does base UIMA.  Running on a
separate machine would perhaps ease any memory contention issues you may have,
though.

-Marshall