uima-user mailing list archives

From swirl <swirl...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using PEAR in a application based on Uima framework
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 01:44:14 GMT
swirl <swirlobt@...> writes:

> I am currently developing a Tomcat application that wraps around Uima to
run
> text mining processes.
> I am confused over what PEAR can be used for and how it can be used in a
Uima-
> wrapped application.
>
> The application is to be deployed as a installed web application at our
> client's location and it is meant to be more or less a black box to our
> client. That is, our client should not need to know about the intricracies
of
> Uima or the various analysis engines to perform text mining processes.
> Our application presents them a simple facade that thats in input from
them,
> runs the input through an analysis pipeline (consisting of annotators, cas
> consumers, etc) and returns an analysed, annotated document to them.
>
> But we also want our application to be easily extensible and changed, in
case
> we have a better version of analysis engine, we want to deploy just the
engine
> to the client without having to re-compile and re-deploy the whole
> application.
>
> Can we make use of PEAR to do the deployment?
> If so, what about the types used in the analysis engines in the PEAR, how
does
> the deployed application know about the new or modified types in the PEAR?

Erhmmm, has anybody do something like this before?
I really am interested to know how you can do it.

To clarify, I am very interested in how you can mix-match different PEARs,
possibly from different open source projects, with different type systems,
and run them in a pipeline as a coherent whole.

How do you resolve the issue that all their type systems are of different
Java types and be able to use each other's analysis results in the pipeline.

Thanks!