uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Using PEAR in a application based on Uima framework
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:23:31 GMT
To combine annotators written by different groups at different times does
require some level of conformity in the type system, or the creation of type
conversions or mappers.

Some use cases:  Let's presume you have some annotators that work off of
"tokens".  Let's now presume you have an upstream annotator that annotates
tokens.  Let's now say you build a system using both of these.  If the tokenizer
produces types x.y.z.Token (I'm fully qualifying the name of the type), then the
user of these tokens would need to iterate over the type "x.y.z.Token" to get
the tokens to work on.

If later, you have a better tokenizer, there are two sub-cases.  In the first
case, say you find a better tokenizer (let's imagine it properly handles tokens
for non-western languages, or handles multi-word tokens, etc.).  If that
tokenizer produces tokens of type x.y.z.Token (unlikely if it comes from another
sources, or maybe likely if it is version 2 of the original tokenizer), then you
can just "plug it in".  This is true even if the type x.y.z.Token adds some new
features (which your downstream annotator may not define), such as
"multi_word".  This is OK because UIMA, before starting processing, collects all
the type systems and merges the types - so that if annotator 1 defines type
x.y.z.Token as having a "multi_word" feature, but annotator 2 doesn't, then the
merged type definition will in any case have a slot for that feature.

On the other hand, if your use case is one where the new tokenizer is from
another company, and it produces token annotations of type a.b.c.TTT, then your
downstream annotator which is looking tokens of type x.y.z.Token won't find
any.  There, you have to either re-write your annotator to use the new kind of
token, or insert some kind of type mapping annotator inbetween. Sometimes the
type mapping can be trivial, and other times, it can be arbitrarily complex.

When UIMA was first being conceived, there was some thought given to trying to
"standardize" on type systems, to minimize these kind of issues, but looking at
the vast and diverse community of people and projects working in this area, it
was felt that this was too difficult to accomplish.  So UIMA has somewhat of a
compromise - an ability to "merge" different type systems, effectively creating
a union of all the types and features.

HTH

 -Marshall