uima-user mailing list archives

From James Baker <james.d.ba...@gmail.com>
Subject Using UIMA within an existing application
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 08:12:08 GMT
I'm writing an extension to an existing application. The idea is that the
user will select a CPE descriptor and do some configuration, then the
application will run the CPE through UIMA and load the results into the
application.

I've got a lot of the parts of the code working individually, but I'm
having a few issues:

1) The CPE may include annotators that aren't on the classpath. I can find
the bin directory that contains the class files (based on the location of
each annotators descriptor file), and create a URLClassLoader that
references that directory (and hence finds the annotators) - but I can't
figure out how to get UIMA to use that classloader.

Any ideas how I'd do this, or is there a better way of loading in
annotators that aren't on the classpath? (And no, it isn't feasible to add
the directories to the classpath before hand)

2) In order to do the configuration (primarily mapping the UIMA outputs
from UIMA to my application), I need to know the type system the CPE will
produce so the user can do the mapping. I can't find a way of getting the
type system before running the pipeline though.

Is this achievable through UIMA, or am I going to have to parse the XML
files myself to build the type system?

3) A much simpler question (I hope). Once I've run the process() method on
the CPE, how do I get the output? Do I have to have a Consumer in the
pipeline that will somehow pass the CAS objects to my application, or can I
get at them directly?

Thanks,
James