uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eck...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: UIMA Dictionary Annotator help
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 09:58:25 GMT
Hi Nick,

I inlined the reply below.

Am 06.03.2013 um 10:47 schrieb Nick Kolivas <nickkolivas@gmail.com>:

> Is it possible for the dictionary annotator to scan a table of a database like
> it was a dictionary?

The official UIMA dictionary annotator requires a pre-built dictionary - the same
is true for the DKPro DictionaryAnnotator. Both cannot be configured to access a
database.

> First of all what I need to do is match a recognised text with a table of a
> database containing names. So for example if we have a recognition " My name is
> Nick" I want my annotator to compare the recognised text with the database and
> try to find a match. Now lets say that "Nick" exists in the database so we have
> a match then the annotator will return a name annotation. This annotator will be
> used as UIMA pipeline early stage.
>
> My problem is on how to create it. Using a dictionary annotator, or by just
> using a general annotatator with some regex that will just scan the database?

I think writing custom annotator that does just what you need is the better option.

It is possible to implement a generic dictionary annotator in UIMA that uses
what is called an "external resource" to look up entries. The resource is usually
realized as an interface which can have several implementations, e.g. a FileDictionary
or a DatabaseDictionary. I don't know of any ready implementation of this, though.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universit├Ąt Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de