uima-user mailing list archives

From Himanshu Gahlot <himanshu.gahlo...@gmail.com>
Subject Should document level annotations inherit from DocumentAnnotation?
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 00:23:03 GMT
Hi,

I am a little confused about inheriting a document level annotation
from uima.jcas.tcas.DocumentAnnotation. I am of the view that a document
level annotation may not necessarily have 'begin' and 'end' features. For
example, I may want to have a document level annotation such as
DocumentCategory which has features such as category1, category2,
category3, score1, score2, score3, etc., where categories and scores are
the top 3 categories/scores for this document predicted by a document
classification algorithm. In such a case, it does not make sense to have
'begin' and 'end' (and even 'coveredText') as features of DocumentCategory,
since, the categories do not exist in the document text itself and rather
just act like document metadata. Hence, I think it makes more sense to make
DocumentCategory inherit from AnnotationBase (which lacks 'begin' and 'end'
features) rather than from DocumentAnnotation. But I have not seen people
inheriting directly from AnnotationBase. Are there restrictions around not
inheriting from DocumentAnnotation or Annotation classes and directly
inheriting from AnnotationBase that I should be aware of? Does my
understanding of a document level annotation and its proposed lack of
'begin' and 'end' features makes sense?

-Himanshu