uima-user mailing list archives

From Eric Riebling <e...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: CAS Editor: link feature structure with other FSes
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 21:52:51 GMT
I think a VERY important step is missing from the instructions:
what to do when you want to link feature structures.

Simply by guessing and trial and error, I was able to come up
with this solution:

  * By hook or by crook, get the FS into which you want to link
	another FS into the Edit View panel
  * Click the lock icon in the Edit View panel, "pinning" it.
  * By hook or by crook, navigate to the FS you want to link.
	This is not easy, because the editor is likely in a mode
	that automatically selects FSes of the type being
	created, which may not be the type you're linking,
	so you may have to change modes(!)
    For me, the best way is to actually use the Outline view.
  * Find the FS to link in the Outline view, and DRAG it INTO the
	Edit View panel, into the Value column box of the  feature
	you're linking it into.

THIS actually seems to work, but it was quite a surprise to discover
one can drag between panels -nowhere do the instructions mention
doing anything like this.  *undocumented feature* :)

--
Eric Riebling                 Senior Research Programmer
http://ericriebling.com       CMU Language Technologies Institute