uima-user mailing list archives

From Eric Buist <buiste...@gmail.com>
Subject Unusable Document Analyzer because of too small font sizes
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 20:59:13 GMT
Hi,

I am facing this problem more and more often and now it is too much.
Each time I install a new software tool with a GUI, I am stuck with tiny
font sizes and no workaround. This is now happening to me with the
Document Analysis tool of UIMA. I searched a long long time about the
topic of increasing font size of Swing applications, and the requirement
is to pull the app apart and change the source code at many places,
customizing how each and every control is instantiated! This is just
total madness.

The problem is that the UIMA tutorial relies on this GUI tool, not
proposing any fallback such as a text-mode alternative or API calls that
would allow to process documents and format the annotated JCASes. I am
thus blocked until I google around and copy/paste hundreds of lines of
codes to get a working basic text-mode document analysis tool.

My system font is correct and a bunch of applications such as the
terminal emulator, Eclipse, Emacs, Google Chrome, Thunderbird, etc.,
have correct font sizes. But Java Swing applications just ignore system
settings.

I tried simple solutions such as switching the default Swing look and
feel from the cross-platform to GTK: no result. It seems the GTK LAF is
non-working in OpenJDK, the only JVM available in Ubuntu repositories
since Oracle bought Sun. I tried to find a way to tune the look and
feel: no solution, except AGAIN changing the source code of the application.

Is there any way around this? Any plan for a text-based document
analysis tool or something using an Eclipse plug-in?

--
/ Eric Buist<me@ericbuist.com>