uima-user mailing list archives

From Eric Riebling <e...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Getting annotations from CASes 'external' to a pipeline
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:44:48 GMT
Thanks, guys.  This is getting me closer to the goal, and explains the observed
behaviors.  Now I'm facing issues when implemented as a CAS Multiplier.  I try
creating a new CAS first with getEmptyJCas().

Here are some various strategies and what resulted:

  * create a deserializer with the typesystem from the AE (which
	includes types in the 'external' CAS to be deserialized)
  * ues it to deserialize into the empty CAS created with getEmptyJCas()

  -> The deserialized CAS for some reason has only the base TOP typesystem
  -> Trying to access an annotation from an index (that should be there)
     generates the "used in Java code,  but was not declared in the XML type descriptor"
	exception

  * same as above, but use CasCopier to try and copy the type system
	(and everything else) from the CAS in the AE's process() method
	  into the empty CAS

  -> Attempted to copy a FeatureStructure of type "(my type name)", which is not defined
in the type system of the destination CAS.

It seems the ONLY way to obtain a CAS (empty or otherwise) that has the type system able
to accept the external CAS being deserialized is to use the very CAS passed into
the AE's process() method.  Doing so obviously mangles that CAS for the rest of
the pipeline.

On 3/15/2012 1:50 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:

> On 3/15/2012 10:38 AM, Eric Riebling wrote:
>> I have a pipeline with it's own type system.
>> I also have deserialized, annotated CASes on disk with a different type system.
>> Suppose I want an Analysis Engine in the pipeline to read in the deserialized
>> CASes in order to obtain annotations and 'do things with them'
>>
>> I understand some limitations in the UIMA framework prevent this, but
>> could it be done by making the first type system include that of the
>> CASes to deserialize?
> Yes, I think so.
>>
>> Also, it would necessitate creating new CASes within the Analysis Engine.
>> I could think of several approaches, and have tried some without success:
>>
>> * Create a new, 'temporary' View in the AE's process() method, obtain a
>> JCas, obtain it's CAS, and use that to store the deserialized CASes
>> (seems to mangle the original CAS and break downstream AEs in the pipeline,
>> and seems to not be able to find any annotations in the deserialized CAS)
>>
> This won't work. The deserialize method effectively "resets" the CAS before loading it.
> A view is not a new CAS; it is a new view of the same CAS.
>
>> * Use the CAS in the process() method to store the deserialized CASes
>> (also mangles the original CAS, breaks downstream AEs, but DOES
>> permit obtaining annotations from the deserialized CASes)
> Right, deserializing into an existing CAS resets it in flight.
>>
>> * Make the Analysis Engine be a CAS Multiplier, and deserialize into
>> a CAS created with createEmtpyCas()
>> (I haven't tried this yet)
> Yes, this is the way to get a separate CAS instance to deserialize into. It's how Collection
Readers do it.