uima-user mailing list archives

From Vinod <vkag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple views and Aggregate Analysis engine...
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:36:18 GMT
Burn Lewis <burnlewis@...> writes:

> Without sofa mapping you should be able to access these views directly, e.g.
>
> CAS view1 = cas.getView("V1");
>
> If your annotator is single-view / sofa-unaware (i.e. declares no input or
> output sofas) then it will be passed the default view or whatever view is
> mapped to that.  If your annotator is multi-view / sofa-aware (i.e. declares
> at least one input or output sofa) then it will be given a base CAS with no
> view so you MUST use getView to access any of your views.
>
> If you've sofa-mapped V1 to some other name then you'll have to pass getView
> the mapped name.
>
> ~Burn
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Vinod <vkaggal@...> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having difficulty in accessing document text (set by a collection
> > reader)
> >  in a down stream annotator,
> > I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
> >
> > Here is what I have:
> >
> > Collection Reader creates 3 views, V1, V2, and V3 and sets documentText
> > for those views
> > (so default view has not text set).
> >
> > I have an AggregateAE (AAE1) that includes another
> > AggregateAE (AAE2 - MedKAT).
> >
> > In AAE1, I have defined V1, V2, and V3 as output SOFAS and included all
> > downstream annotators
> > including AAE2 in the sofa mapping.
> >
> > The problem: Annotators in AAE2 cannot access document text from V1, V2 or
> > V3
> >
> > Isn't the fact that I have defined AAE2 under Outputs in Sofa Mappings as
> > "Outputs->V1->AAE2" be
> > enough to have all the annotators in AAE2 have access to the views V1?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Vinod.

Thanks for your response Burn. Let me see if I understand.

if I have the following annotators in the flow

A1, A2, A3, A4

which are all included in an Aggregate AAE1. AAE1 defines
View V1 as output, A1 creates this view and adds doc-text
to this view. So other annotators A2 through A4 will have access
to this view - I know this works in one of our UIMA pipelines.

Now, if I instead have A1, AAE2, A3, A4

Will the annotators in AAE2 (aggregate analysis engine 2) have
access to the view that A1 created?

Q1) Are you saying that *ALL* annotators in AAE3's flow should
explicitly access V1 using getView?
Q2) What will happen if the Collection reader creates a view instead
of the first annotator A1?

Thanks.