uima-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: merging CAS objects
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:28:51 GMT
On 9/16/11 12:12 PM, Alexander Klenner wrote:
> Hi Jörn,
>
> we are using a combination of UNICORE and UIMA, I think it'd take too long to explain
the complete architecture but in  a nutshell: unicore does all the workflow stuff (passing
XCAS obejcts to next job and so on)  and all our unicore "grid beans" are independent uima
applications (XCAS in - AE - XCAS out), so far it works really fine but at some point we have
to merge our CAS objects. The nice thing about this is we can use the unicore rich client
to drag and drop any uima AEs into the workflow. It's like a GUI for UIMA AEs now. We have
a little test pipeline with 60 diverse documents (8 million characters) and we have some simple
and also some complex AEs that need 180 minutes if all AEs are single threaded, this can be
reduced to 60 minutes with multithreaded AEs (4 instances each) and it goes down to 20 minutes
if we let them do the annotation at the same time using 4 threads each. So it actually does
make a difference if the annotation is done one after another or at the same time.

I see, it is because you can utilize more cores this way with a small
set of text items. I assumed you have thousands or millions
of text items.

Jörn