uima-user mailing list archives

From Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teof...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PEAR packaging and maven
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 08:32:16 GMT
Hello Greg,

2011/5/31 Greg Holmberg <holmberg2066@comcast.net>

> On Fri, 27 May 2011 02:15:37 -0700, Thilo Götz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> It is also worth pointing out that if you control the code, you
>> can write/package your annotators so they just run out of a jar
>> file.  The resource loading mechanism of UIMA can load resources
>> from the classpath, i.e., from a jar file.  I always package my
>> annotators that way.  Then even if you package them in a pear
>> (which you don't have to), the pear install doesn't have to do
>> any of the error prone file rewriting magic.
>>
>> It has been put forward that if you have resources like dictionaries
>> as separate files on disk, they are easier to maintain.  That's
>> an argument I only buy for a very limited set of circumstances
>> (e.g., you have a web app and you let users edit the dictionary
>> on the fly or something).  Generally, if we're talking about a
>> real deployment, you don't want to do that anyway.  It's just as
>> easy to replace a jar.
>>

> Thanks, Thilo.  That's a great idea.  I'll try it.
>
> Does anyone here know the status of using OSGi to load annotators?

I am working on that and I managed to use the UIMA Sandbox Annotators in a
OSGi env with the bundles created with addons-osgi-runtime [1] which depend
on uimaj-ep-runtime [2] (used to load Eclipse plugins).

> I seem to remember something on alphaworks.ibm.com a few years ago, but
> haven't heard anything since.
>
> Dynamic Module Enabler for UIMA:
> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/dmeuima/download
>
> Is there any effort or interest in bringing this DME thing into the UIMA
> sandbox?

didn't know about that! Anyone?

> My company is to moving to using OSGi extensively.  We are adopting the
> Virgo platform from Eclipse.
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=rt.virgo
>
> We might be willing to contribute to a project to "OSGi'ify" UIMA.  I'll
> have to check with my boss.

we talked about that months ago [3]; the problems are not in a simple usage
of UIMA in a OSGi environment but more about complex architectures (think of
UIMA-AS), resources management (OSGi classloading is non trivial), etc.

> I'm told that OSGi has features that can be used to deliver resource files
> along with the Java class files.  Simplifying the installation process in
> comparison to PEAR files would be my main goal with OSGI'ifying annotators
> and analysis engines.  To make it as easy as possible to consume annotators
> and deploy them on-demand into a multi-tenant UIMA cluster.  I would want to
> distribute the artifacts using maven.
>
> Is anyone else interested in such a thing using OSGi?

I'd be interested as I am already using it in Clerezza which is OSGi based
(runs on Apache Felix) but I think we should discuss in deep
architecture/implementations implications.
There is also a wiki page [4] that is quite old but we could start improving
to collect needs, requirements, pros/cons, etc..
Regards,
Tommaso

[1] :
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/trunk/addons-osgi-runtime/