uima-user mailing list archives

From Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>
Subject Re: Cas Editor: group annotation types by namespace?
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 15:53:34 GMT
 >> [package names vs. type hierarchy]
> For a technically-oriented user, the package names are probably
> better. But for a linguist or knowledge-engineer, I am pretty sure
> that the inheritance hierarchy is more interesting. One dives down to
> the particular level one to which he can still make a distinction and
> then stops.

Yes, I guess that depends how you use the inheritance.  In our case we
go from the general UIMA Annotation to our own generic Annotation type
that adds a few features, then the generic "manual" Annotation with
features specific to human annotations, etc.  So the inheritance is
purely technical and implies no semantic hierarchy, and it makes no
sense at all to a human annotator to go through all those levels that
are completely meaningless to them.

> I think it would be good to offer both approaches, maybe on different
> key-bindings and/or different sub menus reachable from the context
> menu.

I agree that maintaining the old behaviour for your use case makes
sense, so we would need either two menus or a project-wide preference.

Jens