uima-user mailing list archives

From Chris <cma...@progeny.net>
Subject Re: ConceptMapper and POS
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:14:00 GMT
Michael Tanenblatt <slothrop@...> writes:

> I hope I get this right, as it's been a while since I've done this:
>
> Assume you have a token annotation that has a feature containing a POS tag as
a string value, and that feature
> is called "posTag". If you want to use that to limit your lookups, you would
set the parameter
> "TokenClassFeatureName" to "posTag" and then you would use the
"IncludedTokenClasses" parameter to
> list all of the values of that posTag feature that would indicate the token
should be included in the lookup
> (conversely, you could use the "ExcludedTokenClasses" to indicate those to
ignore during lookup).

> Specifying the POS tag in the dictionary is a way to override the tagger,
assuming your tagger doesn't
> overwrite existing tags, that's all. ConceptMapper does not handle POS tags in
any special way, they are
> just features, like any other feature.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> On Mar 9, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Chris wrote:
>
> > The documentation for the ConceptMapper annotator discusses the possibility
of
> > limiting matches to specific parts of speech.  If I understand correctly, by
> > specifying a POS value in a ConceptMapper dictionary entry, I can filter
> > matches to just those tokens that have been tagged with the specified POS
> > value (as supplied, in my case, by running the OpenNLP POS Tagger before
> > ConceptMapper).  In practice, however, specifying POS attribute values for
my
> > dictionary entries does not appear to have the desired effect.
> >
> > Am I misunderstanding what the POS attribute does in ConceptMapper?  Perhaps
> > it is meant only to use in the "write-back" capabilities of the annotator to
> > populate/overwrite a POS attribute in a matched token instead of acting as a
> > filter?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated in better understanding what role POS plays in the
> > execution of ConceptMapper.
> >
> > Thanks...

That makes sense - thanks.  I was hoping that it acted as an additional matching
agent for variants - for example, being able to say that a match is only valid
when the POS specified in the dictionary for a variant matched the pre-populated
POS for the token annotation - but sounds like that was not how it was intended
to be used.

Thanks for the help.