uima-user mailing list archives

From Dan Brown <danimal.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UIMA-AS Service gets killed when idle
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 13:49:01 GMT
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Jörn Kottmann <kottmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/1/11 3:25 PM, Jaroslaw Cwiklik wrote:
>
>> Hmm, strange. Perhaps putting the process in a background would help like
>> so: nohup bin/deployAsyncService.sh&
>> Should be easy to test. Start the process and exit the shell. See what
>> happens.
>> Anything in the log or console indicating OOM or some other problem? If
>> the
>> process is idle I doubt this is memory related.
>>

> It seems that the machine is very low on memory and it is related
> to that (thanks for the hint Dan), but I could not find a log entry about
> the killed process. There is nothing in /var/log/messages.
>
> Thanks,
> Jörn

We had a similar problem when running a a SOLR index process (a separate
command line process also written in Java but not using SOLR's data import
handler).  It would run until about 3/4 done and then I would see the
"KILLED" message like what you posted in your original message.  I talked to
the sys admin who told me about the system killing processes when it asked
for more memory than the system had to give.  I experimented by changing the
value of the max memory for the JVM using -Xmx  I would keep trying to index
lowering the max memory each time until the indexing process completed.

Dan