uima-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to process structured input with UIMA?
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 15:09:25 GMT
On 3/2/11 3:25 PM, Andreas Kahl wrote:
> Anuj and Jan,
>
> Thank you very much for your tips. I think, I will try the annotation-way:
> Use an CollectionProcessingEngine to iterate all the Docs in my input-XML.
> Instatiate a CAS with the input-XML as text.
> Then run an Annotator converting all XML-Tags into Annotations (I think I am going to
set annotation.setBegin() and .setEnd() to something generic like 0).
> Based on that I'm going to build up my Pipeline.
> I'll keep you posted as soon as I have some results.

The idea of an annotation is really that it is bound to a span of text.
If you do
not want that, then just use a type which is directly derived from
Feature Structure.

Most text processing assumes that you have annotations which mark a
piece of text, then
retrieve the text, process it and output annotations.

Lets say you want to use a tokenizer, it needs an annotation (e.g. a
sentence) as input and might
output token annotations within the input annotation span.

Jörn