uima-user mailing list archives

From Andrea Turbati <turb...@info.uniroma2.it>
Subject Re: create complex Type System
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:17:59 GMT
  Il 02/12/2010 16:33, Marshall Schor ha scritto:
> On 11/30/2010 9:44 AM, Andrea Turbati wrote:
>>   Hello,
>> I'm new to the UIMA AAE and I was able to create a "simple" AAE by putting
>> different AE together without any real interaction between them. I'd like to
>> go further and compose an AAE in which the type returned is not just the set
>> of simple types from the AEs, but it is a new Type in which the elements are
>> connected and interact in some way.
>> So for example if I have 3 simple AEs:
>>
>>     * The first recognises *first name*
>>     * The second the* last name*
>>     * The third  the *title *(Mr. Miss, Mrs, etc.)
>>
>> I'd like to create an AAE in which I have as an output just one type that is
>> able to identify for example "Mr. Andrea Turbati"as one annotation and not as
>> three different ones.
>>
>> I'd like to do the composition not manually but from a java application at
>> runtime.
> I'm not certain what your question is, but this sounds similar to one of the
> example annotators: MeetingAnnotator - it is an annotator that takes the results
> of 2 previous annotators, "TutorialDateTime" and RoomNumberAnnotator, and makes
> a new Meeting annotation, whose span is from the beginning of the earliest
> previous annotation to the end of the latest one.
>
> You can see the source here:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-examples/src/main/java/org/apache/uima/tutorial/ex4/MeetingAnnotator.java?revision=933273&view=markup
> <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-examples/src/main/java/org/apache/uima/tutorial/ex4/MeetingAnnotator.java?revision=933273&view=markup>

Thank you for the answer.
I thought that in UIMA you could compose Type System using only an XML
descriptor without having to write any new code. Because writing code is
a "human task" and in my case I'm trying to create a tool that composes
two or more AE and gives as output just an XML describing the AAE. Then
I should be able to pass the single AEs and the descriptor of the AAE to
another module which will annotate a text using the information from the
AAE descriptor and the code of the AEs.
So for example if I have an AE which is able to annotate last Name and
another one that annotate Government title and in a text I find
"President Obama", I'd like to have a single annotation for "President
Obama" and not two separate one for each word.

Thanks

Andrea Turbati

> Marshall Schor
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andrea Turbati

Dott. Andrea Turbati

AI Research Group PhD student,

Dept. of Computer Science, Systems and Production

University of Roma, Tor Vergata

Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)

tel: +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)

e_mail: turbati@info.uniroma2.it

home page: http://art.uniroma2.it/turbati/