uima-user mailing list archives

From Philip Ogren <phi...@ogren.info>
Subject Re: maven src directory for generated code
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:22:38 GMT
Marshall,

Thank you for this helpful hint.  I was just now following up on
Richard's tips and was trying to figure out how to get Eclipse to
recognize the new source directory.  I think I now have a working solution!

I will send it around shortly.

Philip

On 10/21/2010 9:03 AM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree - lots of source generation tooling generates to
> target/generated-sources ...
>
> This has the advantage that the normal "clean" operation removes these.
>
> Using m2eclipse Eclipse plugin for maven - by default it will "miss" these
> generated directories the first time you import a project as a Maven project.
> However, the recovery is simple, and only needs doing once: right click the
> project and select Maven ->  update project configuration.
>
> -Marshall
>
> On 10/21/2010 2:30 AM, Richard Matthias Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> Hello Philip,
>>
>>> So, I would much rather have the generated
>>> code put into a different source folder that has only generated code in
>>> it.  Something like src/generated/java or src/output/java or whatever
>>> the convention is.  My question is whether or not there is a convention
>>> and if so could someone point me to a project that does something like this?
>> my understanding is that target/generated-sources/<toolname>  is appropriate
- I've seen this in a couple of instances. This is also what is mentioned in the NetBeans
wiki on Maven best practices:

>>> If your project contains generated source roots that need to appear in the project's
source path, please make sure that the Maven plugin generating the sources generates them
in the target/generated-sources/<toolname>  directory where<toolname>  is folder
specific to the Maven plugin used and acts as source root for the generated sources. Most
common maven plugins currently follow this pattern in the default configuration.
>> (Source: http://wiki.netbeans.org/MavenBestPractices#Open_existing_project)
>>
>> There is also a Maven plugin which allows to add folders to the Maven source folders
list. This may help if e.g. Eclipse does not properly pick up the folder: