uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: maven src directory for generated code
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:03:33 GMT
Hi,

I agree - lots of source generation tooling generates to
target/generated-sources ...

This has the advantage that the normal "clean" operation removes these.

Using m2eclipse Eclipse plugin for maven - by default it will "miss" these
generated directories the first time you import a project as a Maven project.
However, the recovery is simple, and only needs doing once: right click the
project and select Maven -> update project configuration.

-Marshall

On 10/21/2010 2:30 AM, Richard Matthias Eckart de Castilho wrote:
> Hello Philip,
>
>> So, I would much rather have the generated
>> code put into a different source folder that has only generated code in
>> it.  Something like src/generated/java or src/output/java or whatever
>> the convention is.  My question is whether or not there is a convention
>> and if so could someone point me to a project that does something like this?
>
> my understanding is that target/generated-sources/<toolname> is appropriate - I've
seen this in a couple of instances. This is also what is mentioned in the NetBeans wiki on
Maven best practices:

>> If your project contains generated source roots that need to appear in the project's
source path, please make sure that the Maven plugin generating the sources generates them
in the target/generated-sources/<toolname> directory where <toolname> is folder
specific to the Maven plugin used and acts as source root for the generated sources. Most
common maven plugins currently follow this pattern in the default configuration.
> (Source: http://wiki.netbeans.org/MavenBestPractices#Open_existing_project)
>
> There is also a Maven plugin which allows to add folders to the Maven source folders
list. This may help if e.g. Eclipse does not properly pick up the folder: