uima-user mailing list archives

From Philip Ogren <phi...@ogren.info>
Subject maven src directory for generated code
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 02:41:28 GMT
We are using maven as the build platform for our uima-based projects.
As part of the build org.apache.uima.tools.jcasgen.Jg is invoked to
generate java files for the type system.  This is performed in the
process-resources phase using a plugin configuration previously
discussed on this list.  We have the target directory for the generated
java files set to src/main/java.  However, we make it our practice not
to check in these files into our repository because they change every
time they get generated - and because they are generated there's no
point in checking them in in the first place.  As the type system gets
bigger it gets more and more annoying to have src/main/java filled with
directories that are under svn:ignore.  This is particularly true when a
sub-project imports a type system from a different project and the
packaging structure of the generated source code is much different than
from the sub-project's code.  So, I would much rather have the generated
code put into a different source folder that has only generated code in
it.  Something like src/generated/java or src/output/java or whatever
the convention is.  My question is whether or not there is a convention
and if so could someone point me to a project that does something like this?

Thanks,
Philip