uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: XmiCasDeserializer.deserialize with InputSource rather than InputStream
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:48:39 GMT
 I'm not an expert here, but I found by googling that at least one person thinks
it's a bad practice to read things into char arrays, and then send those to an
XML parser.

The web page http://www.odi.ch/prog/design/newbies.php#7 says:

It is a very bad idea to read an XML file and store it in a String. An XML
specifies its encoding in the XML header. But when reading a file you have to
know the encoding beforehand! Also storing an XML file in a String wastes
memory. All XML parsers accept an InputStream as a parsing source and they
figure out the encoding themselves correctly. So you can feed them an
InputStream instead of storing the whole file in memory temporarily. The byte
order (big-endian, little-endian) is another trap when a multi-byte encoding
(such as UTF-8) is used. XML files may carry a byte order mark at the beginning
that specifies the byte order. XML parsers handle them correctly.

-Marshall