uima-user mailing list archives

From LinTong <pcu84...@gmail.com>
Subject the performance of UIMA AS
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 11:46:21 GMT
Hallo everybody

Now I am investigating UIMA AS. I'm very confused by the poor
performance of UIMA-AS. I run the example AS descriptor
MeetingDetectorTAE. No matter
Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE_3MeetingAnnotators.xml or
Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE_Sync_3Instances.xml, there is no speedup at
all. Also I tried Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE_RemoteRoomNumber.xml and
deployed several instances of service RemoteRoomNumber. But still no
speedup. My sample includes 450 documents. Actually MeetingDetectorTAE
costs appx. 1000ms in CPE. Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE.xml costs 5000ms
in UIMA AS while all components are on the same machine. If I run
Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE_RemoteRoomNumber.xml and service
RemoteRoomNumber on different computer, it takes almost 20000ms. I
know these is overhead including de/serialisation, but there is no
reason that the performance is so poor. Does anybody have idea about
my problem? Did I make any stupid mistake?

BTW, when I enable the flag named async, system gives the following
debug information back. The analysis time and idle time seem quite
strange. Does my AE only cost c.a. 280ms?(the collection reader I used
costs c.a. 2000ms).

INFO: Controller: [Meeting Detector TAE] Delegate <<Meeting Detector
TAE>> Stats:
	 Total Number CASes Processed: 257
	 Total CAS Deserialization Time: 327,602 ms
	 Total CAS Serialization Time: 93,601 ms
	 Total Time Spent In Analysis: 280,802 ms
	 Max Serialization Time: 15,6 ms
	 Max Deserialization Time: 15,6 ms
	 Max Analysis Time: 202,801 ms
	 Total Idle Time: 1.625,275 ms
Completed 451 documents; 593984 characters
Time Elapsed : 4808 ms

Thank you so much if somebody could help me !

--
Best Regards
LinTong(Pierre)