uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: the performance of UIMA AS
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 13:57:25 GMT
Hi,

Here are just a few general observations.

A generally useful check: while the tests are running, examine the cpu %
busy on the various machines being used.  If it is not 100%, then look
for a bottleneck somewhere...

If you're running on one machine, then the speed ups you get will
probably only be seen if that machine is a multi-core machine, or
there's a lot of I/O that the annotators are doing.  In your case, the
annotators do no I/O - so you would need to be on a multi-core machine.
Once you scale past the number of cores, there's no further speed up
possible, I think, for the main pipeline.

The timing measurements below I believe are wall-clock measures, not
cpu-time.

If you do manage to get scaleout, the overall performance in this case
is probably going to be dictated by the rate at which your collection
reader can send CASes into the pipeline.  In many of our tests, where
we're deploying on a network of machines, we find that to load up the
pipeline, we have to pre-read all the test CASes into memory, ahead of
time, and then have the driver program send those as fast as it can, in
order to create a reasonable load.

HTH.   -Marshall