uima-user mailing list archives

From Chuck Bearden <cfbear...@gmail.com>
Subject Problem configuring a UIMA component as a Vinci service.
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:25:49 GMT
I'm building my first, very simple CPE, and I want to run the
aggregate analysis engine as a loca Vinci service.  The engine
comprises a collection reader that takes paragraphs of text from a
database, and an aggregate AE that includes a sentence annotator, a
CAS multiplier to create one CAS per sentence, a concept extractor,
and an AE that writes the concept annotations to a database.

To this end, I created a Service Deployment Descriptor for the
aggregate AE, and I modified the CPE configuration to call the service
via Vinci, trying to follow the user guide and reference as best I
could.

I am able to start VNS and then run the CPE with runCPE.sh (an earlier
post to this list [1] told me that the GUI doesn't support managed
services), but everything seems to stall once the collection reader
has selected the initial batch of input lines.  The uima.log file
repeats the "The service port is not available yet. There are xxxx
retries left to acquire the port. (Thread Name: BaseCPMImpl-Thread)"
message until the number of retries is exhausted.  netstat reveals
that port 9005 was opened by the CPE in addition to 9000 for VNS.
Both ports are accessible on the localhost.

I notice from two posts in an earlier thread [2][3] that some UIMA CAS
data types (e.g. ByteArray) may not be supported in managed
deployments.  My AE needs uima.cas.{FSArray,StringArray}.  Could this
be my problem?

In case they might be relevant, here are links to my CPE descriptor
[4] and my service deployment descriptor [5].

[1] <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.uima.general/522>
[2] <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.uima.general/2559>
[3] <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.uima.general/2561>
[4] <http://pastebin.com/PhYFufXV>