uima-user mailing list archives

From Greg Holmberg <holmberg2...@comcast.net>
Subject Building UIMA from source from behind an HTTP proxy server
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:39:35 GMT
Here's a little tip if you're trying to build UIMA and the SandBox from source code, and you're
at an organization that uses an HTTP proxy server (like mine).

First you have to tell maven about the proxy. Go to your home directory--in Windows, C:\Documents
and Settings\<my-login>. Under there, go to the .m2 directory. Create a file called
settings.xml with this content:

<settings>
<proxies>
<proxy>
<active>true</active>
<protocol>http</protocol>
<host>my-proxy</host>
<port>8080</port>
<nonProxyHosts>*.my-internal-domain</nonProxyHosts>
</proxy>
</proxies>
</settings>

This fixes most things in the maven build, but some of the document building uses ant tasks
to download tools. Since ant tasks do not use the above settings.xml file, you have to configure
the JVM to use a proxy.

In your JRE installation, such as C:\Program Files\Java\jre6, edit lib\net.properties. In
a JDK installation, such as C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14, edit jre\lib\net.properties.
Change this line:

java.net.useSystemProxies=false

Set it to true.

Now Start > Control Panel > Internet Options. Connections tab, click LAN Settings. Check
"Use a proxy server for your LAN", enter the address and port.

Alternatively, you can set these in the net.properties file. You'll see commented-out lines
for the host and port.

I hope this will save you a little time in case you have this situation.

Greg Holmberg