uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Getting non-annotations (e.g. TOP) from a CAS
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 10:29:33 GMT
On 02/01/2010 18:22, Richard Matthias Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>>> How can one get access now to types that directly inherit from TOP?
>>
>> All access methods should still work.  What exactly does
>> no longer work for you?
>

> I believe I had some code that initially already didn't work, but due to UIMA 2.2.2 not
supporting generics, I didn't notice it. I had something like this:

> 		class MetaData extends TOP
>
> 		MetaData metaData = (TOP) jcas.getAnnotationIndex(MetaData.type).iterator().next();
>
> In 2.2.2 this did not cause an error, but it likely also didn't work and I just failed
to notice it.

Correct, that wouldn't have worked.

> The problem here is that RunInformation inherits from TOP, not from Annotation. But getAnnotationIndex(...)
returns an index of <Annotation> which in turn gets me an FSIterator<Annotation>
so that next() returns an Annotation. Since RunInformation does not inherit from Annotation,
that does not work.

> Digging into the API again, I believe the fix should be this:
>
> 		MetaData metaData = (MetaData) jcas.getIndexRepository().getAllIndexedFS(MetaData.type).next()

Yes, that should work.