uima-user mailing list archives

From Philip Ogren <phi...@ogren.info>
Subject what is the difference between the "base CAS" view and _InitialView?
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:18:20 GMT
I have a component that takes text from the "_InitialView" view, creates
a second view, and posts a modified version of the text to the second
view.  I had a unit test that was reading in a JCas from an XMI file and
running the JCas through my annotator and testing that the text was
correctly posted to the second view.  Everything was fine.  Later, it
occurred to me that I should add SofaCapabilities to my annotator which
I did.  However, my test broke.  The reason seems to be because the JCas
I get back from the xmi file has the text in the "_InitialView" but the
jCas passed into my annotator's process method is no longer the
"_InitialView".  I tracked this down in the debugger and discovered that
this is due to the following lines of code in PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl:

        // Get the right view of the CAS. Sofa-aware components get the
base CAS.
        // Sofa-unaware components get whatever is mapped to the
_InitialView.
        CAS view = ((CASImpl) aCAS).getBaseCAS();
        if (!mSofaAware) {
          view = aCAS.getView(CAS.NAME_DEFAULT_SOFA);
        }

So, to make my test work again I simply injected the following line of
code near the top of the process method of my annotator:

        jCas = jCas.getView(CAS.NAME_DEFAULT_SOFA);

This made my problem go away.  However, this seems quite
unsatisfactory!  Can someone explain to me what the difference is
between the "base CAS" that I am now getting in my process method and
the _InitialView CAS that I was getting before?  Are my annotators
supposed to be aware of this difference.  Any advice and/or insight on
this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip