uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: UIMA and version conflicts
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:59:04 GMT

Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Hi, please subscribe to the mailing list so we don't have to
> moderate your messages.  Comments below.
>
> On 12/16/2009 14:22, michael wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use UIMA to run multiple Analysis Engines over a single CAS in a Java
application (not web/ tomcat stuff).
>> Each Analysis Engine descriptor will have been installed from its own pear file and
may have dependencies upon versions of jar files included in the pear that conflict with those
in other installed pears. I have been trying to do this using code similar to that in the
Run CPE GUI. But it seems to assume one Resource Manager must be shared between the Collection
Reader and each Analysis Engine. So I am stumped.

> Why don't you just create an aggregate descriptor that
> points at the various pear descriptors?

When you build an aggregate, you can have the delegates be either other
aggregates or primitives, or a pear descriptor (which you get when you
install a pear).  If you the pear descriptor, UIMA will set up a special
class loader for running whatever that pear specifies, in which the
classpath is set to whatever the pear says to use.  This is supposed to
do exactly what you're hoping - allow different versions of things to
co-exist.

>> 1) Can a single CAS have a different Resource Managers to define the classpaths for
each Analysis Engine that populates it?

Sure - use the pear approach described above, and also described here:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.2-incubating/docs/html/references/references.html#ugr.ref.jcas.pear_support
>> 2) If no, Would UIMA-AS be a solution?
>> 3) Parameter overrides need to be able to be applied to the Analysis Engines before
they are run. Does this mean I cannot use UIMA-AS?

> This is broken in 2.2.2, but fixed in the upcoming 2.3 code.

"This" in the above, in case it isn't clear, means that parameter
overrides for pears run inside an aggregate was not supported in 2.2.2,
but now is in the soon to be release 2.3.0 version.

Hope this helps... -Marshall