uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Tips for a beginner
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 04:19:53 GMT
Hi William,

PEARs are both a packaging, and an "isolation" capability.

Packaging:  You get to zip up together potentially many components in an
aggregate, including the JARs, and the classpaths, so that others can
use the component.

Isolation: If your Pear uses a particular version of some Jars, included
in your PEAR package, UIMA runs these with an isolated class loader so
that your versions of the Jars are kept isolated from other versions of
the same Jars that might also be present in the rest of the system.

This isolation may not be what you want, though. For more typical
component assembly, you put components together without Pear isolation,
using "plain" components and building normal aggregations of these.  In
this approach, you have to insure that any Jars used by the components
are at the same level.

When you're all done, you can deliver the resulting aggregate as a Pear,
if that is reasonable in your scenario, to others.

HTH.   -Marshall