uima-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject When to use CAS.addFsToIndexes ?
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:13:13 GMT
Lets consider a tokenizer which creates token annotations, in this case
its pretty clear
that a call to addFsToIndexes is needed to make the token annotation
accessible by other
AEs.

Now lets extend the token annotation with a pos feature, and this
feature links to
pos feature structure (and not directly to a string). A pos tagger now
creates and
links these pos feature structures, should the pos tagger also call
addFsToIndexes for
each created pos feature structure ?

If its not called, I assume the only way to access the pos features
structures is over
the token annotations, which is fine in this scenario.
Is there a good reason to call addFsToIndexes anyway ?

After reading through our XMI serializer code I am not exactly sure what
happens
when the CAS is serialized and de-serialized. Are pos feature structures
then indexed ?

Thanks,
Jörn