uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Problem with multiple type identifiers when loading pears
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:43:39 GMT

Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you say a bit more what the problem is?
>>

> I think my problem is actually tangential to the issue with
> JCasRegistry.  After retrieving types from the jcas TypeSystem, I
> still ran into issues with multiple Redaction definitions because of
> multiple copies of the bytecode being loaded (multiple class loaders,
> I think).  I've worked around that -- see below if you're interested.
> I'd like to hear suggestions to make it cleaner, but at least it's
> working.
>
> I still don't understand why  JCasRegistry.register(...) shouldn't be
> a true function.  It seems like there are at least two parallel ways
> to retrieve types, and in my experience, they don't return the same
> results--at least when getting filtered annotation indices.  (The ways
> being: JCasRegistry.getClassForIndex(MyAnnotationType.type) and
> aJCas.getTypeSystem().getTypeByName(MyAnnotationType.class.getType())

hmmm.  The method JCasRegistry.getClassForIndex... returns a Java cover
class corresponding to a particular CAS type.
As previously discussed, there can be multiple definitions for these.

The second form I think is written incorrectly - it won't compile for me
because the TypeSystem object returned by aJCas.getTypeSystem() doesn't
have a method getTypeByName... so I'm not sure what you meant.
> Anyhow, here's an overview of what we're doing -- it may shed some
> light on this issue:
>

> The UIMA portion of our application is a self-contained module (lets
> call it 'core') that (once instantiated) takes a Document as input,
> and returns a Collection<Violation>.  Violations are moderately
> complex data structures that contain the fields of an Annotation
> object -- specifically, a Redaction (Redaction is a JCasGen-generated
> annotation subtype with some minor additional metadata that the
> Annotators populate).
>
> When core is instantiated, it gets a list of UIMA annotators to use to
> generate Redaction objects, which are, in turn, translated by core
> into Violations.  So, from core's perspective, each UIMA annotator is
> just a module that generates a jcas with Redaction annotations.
>
> The UIMA annotators need know nothing about core to function, although
> they do have a dependency on Core at the moment, so that they can all
> share the same implementattion of Redaction and Redaction_Type.
>
> My intent was to use PEARs as the distribution mechanism for UIMA
> annotators.  The core module would then be configured with a set of
> key,value pairs that are provided to the AnalysisEngine as parameters,
> and deployment would be a simple matter of dropping a pear in the
> right place and then specifying an additional small section of core
> config.
>
> I now have this all working--and the generated PEARs can run
> stand-alone too, which makes testing/debugging a good bit easier.  (we
> can load them in the UIMA tools, for example.)--but it reeks.
>
> What I've ended up doing is installing the pears programatically at
> runtime (to simplfy deployment), but loading them as PEARs prevents
> core from providing prameter values (I don't understand why, but
> UIMA_IllegalStateExceptions abound if you try that).
I think this should now work.  There were many changes to make the PEAR
wrapper work better that were done since 2.2.2 release, including
UIMA-1107 which I think fixed the parameter setting things.  These
changes are in the SVN trunk, which we're in the process of getting
ready for the 2.3.0 release.