uima-user mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Are CasConsumers deprecated by AnalysisEngines?
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:52:59 GMT
Hello everybody,

recently the question of replacing all our CasConsumers with
AnalysisEngines comes up quite frequently and the potential myth that
CasCosumers should no longer be used and instead AnalysisEngines
should be preferred crops up every once in a while. I tried finding a
definitive information about this in the mailing list archives, but I
did not.

In 2007 Adam Lally stated:

> In recent versions of UIMA there is essentially no difference
> between an AnalysisEngine and a CasConsumer

I think at least in CPEs it makes a difference, since with the first
CasConsumer the CPE supposed to be run in a single thread, so the
CasConsumer sees all the documents. The CPE, however, is afaik
deprecated and replaced by UIMA AS.

If an AnalysisEngine has "allow multiple deployment" set to "false",
that should have the same affect within a CPE or within UIMA AS.

So the questions are:

- Is there any reason why CasConsumers are still required?

- Is there any reason that a CasConsumer cannot be replaced "as
is" (minus inheriting from a different base class and changing the
descriptor type) by an AnalysisEngine that may not be deployed multiply?

Best regards,

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Software Engineer
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universit├Ąt Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
phone +49 (6151) 16 - 6218, fax -5455, room S2/02/E225
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de