uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Passing java references to a UIMAJ component
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2009 13:29:24 GMT

Fabio Mancinelli wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a quick question about UIMAJ component initialization.
>
> What I would like to do is to pass a Java reference to an object that
> will be used by the "business logic" of a collection reader in the
> context of a CPE. Since I cannot control the instantiation of the
> collection reader, I was wondering if there is a quick and clean way
> to pass that object reference or if this is not impossible at all
> (like I am suspecting).

There is no clean way to do this in general.  This is because the
components in general could be running in other contexts, for instance,
in a remote machine, not the same JVM, etc.

There is a way to share Java objects among annotators running in the
same machine, using external resources; see
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/downloads/releaseDocs/2.2.2-incubating/docs/html/tutorials_and_users_guides/tutorials_and_users_guides.html#ugr.tug.aae.accessing_external_resource_files

While that specifically addresses creating a Java object and then

HTH. -Marshall