uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: issues with overview-and-setup on Windows
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:33:43 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Kameron Cole wrote:
>
>> I am running into issues when going through the good old old example
>> instructions included with UIMA 2.22.
>>
>> I am posting to draw attention to these, in case they need attention. Also,
>> they may bring up other issues which are worth discussing here.
>>
>> Here is one: if I want to add the sources to the jar files, there is a
>> "bat" file, in the unzipped source code directory.  It basically just runs
>> the java jar command for the source jars.
>>
>> cd jVinci\src\main\java
>> jar  %UIMA_HOME%\lib\jVinci.jar *
>>
>> On Windows, you will certainly get an error, saying 'no 'jar' command on
>> this system.'
>>
>> Problem 1.  The script just calls the jar command, instead of calling java
>> -jar.  I don't know when that has ever worked - certainly it has been many
>> years ago.  Currnelty (JDK 1.6.0_13_b03), you need to use the java -jar
>> command
>>

> Kameron, the script is correct.  A full Java SDK contains a jar(.exe) command
> in its bin directory, just like it has a java(.exe).  The jar command does
> something different from "java -jar", namely package a jar.  java -jar otoh
> runs an executable jar.
>
> What you need to do is 1) make sure you have a Java SDK, not just a jre.  Then
> you must make sure that the bin directory of your java sdk is on your path,
> so your system knows how to execute the jar command.
>
> HTH,
> Thilo

Thanks, Kameron; we would be happy to get a patch that (a) verified that
the user running this had the Java JDK with the "jar" executable, and
tell them they need to get it if it isn't there, and (b) made use of
JAVA_HOME if set to find the java to use, in preference to needing it to
be on the PATH.  The second part could be copied from some of our other
bat/sh files.

-Marshall