uima-user mailing list archives

From Kai Schlamp <schl...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: How to start the CAS Editor?
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:35:50 GMT
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Kai Schlamp wrote:
>>> Would love to hear about your project and what do you want to do with
>>> the Cas Editor.
>>
>> It's a biomedical text analysis platform. It is extensible by third
>> partys with their analyzers and document importers. We use an own type
>> system as everything is very graph centric.
>> At the moment we only present those annotations that are included in
>> our type system. But it would be nice to have a feature to show all
>> annotations of all analysis engines that were used.
>> But the problem with a simple integration of CAS Editor would be that
>> our application only exists of views (no editors at all ... an no
>> editors welcome ;-)). But we could perhaps integrate some of the code.
>> Not sure about that yet as we have other priorities. E.g. releasing a
>> first beta version in the upcoming weeks.
> The difference between an editor and a view in eclipse is that an editor
> can have
> multiple instances, a view can only have one instance. Usually if you
> have an application
> which is working with some kind of document which can be opened you also
> want be
> able to open multiple documents at once.
>
> The Cas Editor assumes that you open the CAS in an editor. If you don't
> do that you cannot
> reuse anything.
>
> Though I do not understand why you don't want to use editors.

Ah, that's an ongoing discussion of RCP developers. There are cases where editors simply doesn't

make sense.
And when you look at some of the already available RCP apps
(some larget projects are listed at http://eclipse.org/community/rcp.php), there are many
without
editors.
If you simply don't edit anything (e.g. a text document) ... why have an editor then?
In our app there is no load, edit, save cycle.
So you see, it depends on the type of application. And this wasn't anything against CAS Editor.
It
surely needs
editors ... the name already points this out :-)