uima-user mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parameters in uima descriptors
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 05:44:21 GMT
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Chris Roeder <chris.roeder@ucdenver.edu> wrote:
> If you ship xml descriptors, then someone who creates CPEs with the gui
> and runs them with SimpleRunCPE can use them easily.  If you don't,
> your components are still usable, though with a bit more work. Either
> the user writes XML descriptors for them and proceeds  with the  CPE editor
> and SimpleRunCPE, or they modify SimpleRunCPE or similar code (as I
> understand you to have done ) to create the components in java without
> getting the meta data from xml.

Yep, I think this is a fair description. So I can certainly agree that
not providing XML descriptors would make it harder to use SimpleRunCPE
(and CPE descriptors in general). I'm uncertain as to how much of a
loss this is. In our case at least, getting away from the CPE gui has
been a blessing, not a curse. ;-)

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> The most common way to reuse someone elses component is to embed
> said component in your own UIMA processing pipeline.  This is done
> by referencing the component's XML descriptor in your own aggregate
> descriptor.  No XML descriptor, no referencing, no reuse.  That's
> what I mean by "unusable".  Does that make sense?

You mean "not usable in an XML descriptor". Yep, that's true. However,
the code is still usable in a Java descriptor. See for example the
various createAggregateAnalysisEngine() methods in
org.uutuc.factory.AnalysisEngineFactory:

http://code.google.com/p/uutuc/source/browse/trunk/uutuc/src/main/java/org/uutuc/factory/AnalysisEngineFactory.java

Note that if you use something like the above, you can happily
aggregate both Java and XML descriptors. But yes, you do have to
commit to writing your main methods in Java instead of relying on
something like SimpleRunCPE or the CPE gui.

I do think that saying they're "unusable" is misleading though. If you
want to say they're "unusable by XML descriptors" though, I'd be happy
to agree to that. I'm just of the opinion that moving from XML
descriptors to Java descriptors is a good idea, particularly for code
which undergoes relatively frequent refactoring.

Steve
--
Where did you get the preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?