uima-user mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parameters in uima descriptors
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:44:58 GMT
On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> Forwarded with permission by Terry...
>
> Terry Heinze wrote:
>> We use UIMA fairly extensively as an underlying framework for supporting NLP
>> solutions for various Thomson Reuters divisions. Regrettably, I don't follow
>> the discussion threads as religiously as I should. Can you point me to the
>> discussion/proposal on using Java descriptors vs. xml descriptors. Our
>> current deployment strategy depends on the ability to read in and
>> dynamically alter the descriptors prior to creating the corresponding UIMA
>> components.
> [...]

It's certainly possible to dynamically alter AnalysisEngineDescription
objects - if it weren't, we couldn't create them in the first place.
;-)  Of course, the way you modify an AnalysisEngineDescription Java
object, and the way you modify an XML descriptor object are different.

> There was no proposal, really.  The ClearTK folks said (if I understood
> them correctly) that they don't keep any descriptors on disk, but generated
> them dynamically at runtime.  To which I replied that this essentially
> makes the components unusable to anybody else, since they're missing the
> descriptors.  I'm still not sure though that there wasn't a misunderstanding
> on my part somewhere...

At the moment, we include XML descriptors for our components as well
as the AnalysisEngineDescriptor factory functions. But I'm still
unconvinced that not having those XML descriptors makes our components
"unusable". The UIMA framework APIs work on AnalysisEngineDescription
objects, so components that provide such objects are still fully
usable within the UIMA framework. But I think I probably just don't
understand what you mean by "unusable".

Steve
--
Where did you get the preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that?