uima-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to start the CAS Editor?
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:40:52 GMT
Kai Schlamp wrote:
> Ok, Jörn ... you made me curious about the CAS Editor.
> I fetched it from SVN, but don't know how to proceed.
> It doesn't have a MANIFEST, so I can't easily create a plugin from it.
> And when I try to start "UIMA Cas Editor.launch" ... well, it's not
> really startable.
> What do I have to do to see the shiny thing in action? ;-)
The way our uimaj-ep-runtime plugin is set up right now makes it
difficult to run the Cas Editor in eclipse.

What I have done is:

1. Checkout the uimaj-ep-runtime plugin and make sure not to run mvn
eclipse:eclipse
on it.

2. Add the uimaj-ep-runtime plugin as plugin to your eclipse instance

3. Now run mvn package in uimaj-ep-cas-editor and refresh the project
(that should generate the MANIFEST.MF file from the pom.xml)

4. Go to the launch configuration and make sure it has all necessary
plugins, that can be done with Plug ins -> Add required plug ins and
after that click on Validate Plug ins to make sure its correct.

All in all its a bit complicated.

You can also just take the jar file which you get after mvn package
and put it together with the runtime jar file in a fresh eclipse install.
Then it should work directly. To see what you can do with the Cas Editor
have a look at the documentation which is shipped with the Cas Editor 2.2.2.

What do you plan to do with it ? I refactored it today a bit to make
extending
it easier.

I think there are basically three ways of extending the Cas Editor:
- Add new views which show an aspect of the CAS
- Adding new editors
- Embedding it deeply in a RCP application

Though if you are planning to do the later two you are likely to run in
a few issue,
but I am happy to help with that.

Jörn