uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Add Type extending uima.cas.ListBase
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:28:21 GMT
Baptiste Gaillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to create a UIMA Type System Descriptor to perform some Unit Tests.

> I'm using the UIMA Eclipse plugins. To do my tests I need to create a new Type for each
(which inherit from each) UIMA CAS Type ('uima.cas.xxx') with the Eclipse Type System Descriptor
Editor. Everything seems to be ok except for the 'uima.cas.ListBase' which generate Java classes
similar to those:

> public class ListBase extends uima.cas.ListBase {
> }
>
> public class ListBase_Type extends uima.cas.ListBase_Type {
> }
>
> Ok, this should be OK but 'uima.cas.ListBase' and 'uima.cas.ListBase_Type' are not resolved/found
because the 'uima.cas' package isn't present in the uimaj-core.jar archive.
> I'm not sure but it seems to be a bug, I see 3 hypothesis:
> ListBase has been deleted from UIMA but has not been remove from the Eclipse Descriptor
editor ?
> The Eclipse Descriptor Editor has a bug and should generate a class which extends something
like 'org.apache.uima.jcas.cas.ListBase' and 'org.apache.uima.jcas.cas.ListBase_Type' instead
of 'uima.cas.ListBase' and 'uima.cas.ListBase_Type' ?
> I'm missing something else...

Here's what's going on - the ListBase type is an internal use only type
- it's not part of the documented set of types.  It only serves to
collect all the various list types together.

The Component Descriptor Editor, when presenting possible "supertypes"
to base a new type on, asks UIMA for its type system, and doesn't
distinguish internal use only types - so these appear in the pick list.

The work-around is to not pick this internal use type for this purpose :-) .

HTH.  -Marshall