uima-user mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Parameters in uima descriptors
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:24:23 GMT
Forwarded with permission by Terry...

Terry Heinze wrote:
> We use UIMA fairly extensively as an underlying framework for supporting NLP
> solutions for various Thomson Reuters divisions. Regrettably, I don't follow
> the discussion threads as religiously as I should. Can you point me to the
> discussion/proposal on using Java descriptors vs. xml descriptors. Our
> current deployment strategy depends on the ability to read in and
> dynamically alter the descriptors prior to creating the corresponding UIMA
> components.
[...]

There was no proposal, really.  The ClearTK folks said (if I understood
them correctly) that they don't keep any descriptors on disk, but generated
them dynamically at runtime.  To which I replied that this essentially
makes the components unusable to anybody else, since they're missing the
descriptors.  I'm still not sure though that there wasn't a misunderstanding
on my part somewhere...

You can find the whole thread here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-user@incubator.apache.org/msg02095.html

> I also just noticed that you have an Open Calais annotator. We might have
> some interest in working on this since Clear Forest is owned by Thomson
> Reuters and we (corporate Research & Development) are in regular contact
> with them.

That would be pretty cool.  I don't know what the status of
the Open Calais annotator is, since it was written when
Open Calais was fairly new.

--Thilo