uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Entities
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:31:32 GMT
There is no predefined Entity type in base UIMA; you will need to define
your own "entity" type.  Suppose it is called "EntityInstance", is a
subtype of Annotation, and includes a field called "id", which is some
unique ID for this entity (perhaps a String type).  Then, you can have
an annotator that runs at the end of your pipeline of annotators which
detects instances of entities (I'm assuming you have multiple annotators
that do this, of course).  This last annotator could get an iteration
index over all things of the "EntityInstance" type, and use a standard
Java hashmap to associate entity unique IDs with Java ArrayLists of
their "instances".  Then, you could make one new Feature Structure, say
of type "Entity", which could have features "uniqueID" and "instances",
and set the "instances" to a FeatureStructure Array of EntityInstances.

HTH. -Marshall