uima-user mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: UIMA related Issues
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:42:44 GMT
Hi Anuj -

I'm not able to spend much time on this, so it is best to get answers
from the entire UIMA community, who may have some relevant experiences
to share.

I suggest you get started by reading the documentation, which is in 4
"books" - you can print these out if you want using the PDF format.  See
our documentation pages here:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/documentation.html

I'll give some quick replies below.

Good Luck!

-Marshall

Anuj Kumar Gupta wrote:
> Hello Marshall-
>

>  Thanks a lot for reply. J
>
> As I am a very beginner in UIMA so I need some more help.
>
> So can you please give me your GTalk or IM Id. So that I can communicate you
> easily.
>
> Marshall I want to know some queries as how can we use UIMA in text mining
> Project?
>
> Can we extract information from any Database rather than any Documents?

Yes, but you need to write the code that accesses the database, for
instance, using JDBC APIs.
> Can we do classification of that data?

Yes.  But think of UIMA as a Framework, into which you can put
components.  Some of these components can do classification of that
data.  The components that do that are called "annotators".  There are
some example, simple annotators that come with the SDK, and there are
more in the UIMA sandbox.  It's up to you to study these and decide if
they are suitable for your kind of classification work, and to do any
customization/configuration of them.
> Can we do Co-referencing by UIMA?

UIMA itself is just a framework for running annotators.  The sandbox
doesn't contain co-referencing annotators, but others may have developed
these.
> GATE is a Part of UIMA or UIMA is a part of GATE?

No.  But there was at one time an interoperability capability done by
the Gate community - please inquire there.